Skip to main content

Galleywood Historical Society are really impressing me!

Imagine my surprise when I was looking through the July/August edition of the Village Emporium and on page 8 I find Galleywood Historical Society's advert for my forthcoming talk about Basildon Through Time and Lost Basildon for Wednesday 13th September.  The date had been fixed but I had no idea of the extent of their advertising.  Then, yesterday, I was working at Chelmsford Library and in a quiet moment I decided to take a look at their community adverts and I see a poster by the historical society advertising my talk!  Wow!  How lovely!  How industrious and hard-working!
I'm very impressed with the Galleywood Historical Society and will do my very best to put on a good show.

A reminder: -

The talk is to be held on Wednesday 13th September
at
Keene Hall, Galleywood Historical Society,
The Common,
Galleywood,
Chelmsford.
CM2 8TR

It starts at 8pm and are people are asked to arrive about 7:45.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Nod to Family Scribbles

I couldn't resist buying this illustration from Mike at Family Scribbles  for one of my husband's Christmas presents.  It is quirky and shows all the notable elements of Billericay High Street.  Mike had the business acumen to advertise his illustration on The Billericay Discussion Page on Facebook, where I saw it.  It is finally on our bedroom wall and looks brilliant! You might be thinking, where have I heard of Family Scribbles before?  Mike was very kind to give an illustration of a very wonderful person who has become known as Colin the Clapper.  He handed Colin the illustration as a thank you, Mike had been jogging past Colin most mornings as he stood on the roundabout near Basildon Hospital clapping all the NHS staff as they went to work.  You can read a bit more about this here . Colin Wilkinson started paying tribute to the NHS staff on the 25th April 2020.  When he had done it for forty days he made the national newspapers when he was ...

My Debut Talk at Colors, Basildon

  Tickets are free but you must register! https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/radical-histories-of-basildon-part-2-tickets-167761606481?aff=ebdsoporgprofile https://www.lisajhorner.com/

Sylvia Kent’s Ten Top Tips for Writing and Promoting a Book

In her previous career Sylvia Kent had worked on typing the parliamentary debates for both Hansard offices (Lords and Commons) in Westminster for 26 years. In 1992 Sylvia helped start the Brentwood University of the Third Age (U3A).  She was asked to start a gardening group which she organised for several years from her Brentwood home.  This was followed by running a home-made wine group then a memoir-writing course.  Sylvia explains, "When I joined the U3A I met a former journalist who had worked for The Times who ran a group to get members writing professionally.  She suggested we should "write what we know" which sounds like a cliché.  I was then making wine so I sent an article to The Lady magazine which described the basics of how to make a simple gallon of apple wine.  This was published and led to other freelance work for other journals." Sylvia is currently a vice-president and archivist for the Society of Women Writers and Journalists (SWWJ) and w...